Friday, October 21, 2011

white chicken chili


My diet lately has been all over the place.  One day I'll eat healthy, nutritious meals...blah blah blah, and then the next day I just crave food that isn't doing me or my waistline any good.   But on a day like today where I had to pull out my heavier fall jacket, this chili meets the mark.  It's super healthy until you add the sour cream and half and half, but it doesn't call for too much.   You could probably do without the half and half and add extra low fat sour cream.  But this time I followed the recipe. 

The thing I also liked about this chili is that it's quick and easy to make and it won't last you a week, before you get tired of it like my typical crock pot chili.    This recipe makes 4 servings which is perfect.  Enough for a dinner and then lunch the next day for both Michael and I. 

I will definitely be making this chili again. 

You need to make this.  You won't be disappointed. 



Creamy White Chicken Chili
recipe adapted from Eat, Live, Run

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 medium onion, small diced
1 T vegetable oil
2 cans white kidney beans 
14.5 ounces chicken broth
2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup half & half
6-8 ounce reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and chopped onion and saute for about six minutes, or until the chicken is seared and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another three minutes.

Add the beans, spices, chicken broth and green chilies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for thirty minutes.

Turn off the heat and add the sour cream and half & half. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment