Sunday, March 18, 2012

chocolate fudge bites

Who would have ever thought that I'd be running outside in 24 degree weather in the middle of March.  We have been blessed with the most wonderful spring weather ever!


Yesterday was my second outdoor run this spring.  I don't know how far it was because I was at my parents and forgot my Garmin at home.  But I've ran that route a fair number of times and figure it was about 5k.  The forming blister on my toe is telling me I've moved from the treadmill to outdoors.   I really need to invest in some good running socks.  Anyways, it seems this wonderful weather will be sticking around just long enough to see Mike and I off on our vacation to Florida in a week.  Oh I can't wait for the heat of the hot Florida sun...sand between my toes and the smell of the ocean.  Pure bliss. 


In prepation for my vacation and summer, I've been trying to shed my winter weight since January.  For me this means cutting out most carbs and sweets.  So, I'm happy to say I am almost at goal weight.  Again.  Yeah!  Geesh it's miserable not being able to eat chocolate this time of year.  Well, I may have sneaked a couple of Cadbury Mini Eggs into my mouth while at the folk's this afternoon. :)  I don't know what it is, but there's something about Easter chocolate that tastes different than chocolate any other time of the year.  It's just soooooo good.  But like I said, I've been dieting so I haven't been eating a whole lot of chocolate, but a girl can't be without chocolate for too long, so I've been whipping up these little chocolate fudge bites.  They're roughly 50 calories a bite, and a their chewy fudgy taste won't have you missing Easter chocolate for long. 

Chocolate Fudge Bites
(Makes 10-14 balls)
source: Chocolate Covered Katie
  • 3/4 cup pitted dates (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1.5 - 2 T cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)
  • 2 T shredded coconut
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup raw pecans
  • chocolate chips (optional) (I don't add)
Blend all ingredients together very well in a food processor.  Roll dough into balls or bars.  
Voila...easy peasy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment