Wednesday, April 11, 2012

key lime pie


When I was in Florida a couple of weeks ago, I tried key lime pie for the first time.  I enjoyed it so much that I decided to make it as one of my Easter desserts, twice. For my family on Good Friday and Michael's family on Easter Sunday.  It turned out better the second time around, after I was able to tweak the recipe a bit.  I loved the creamy texture and combination of sweet and tart in this pie. I did not blind bake the crust the second time and it came out perfect, finally. 

This is Megan, my lovely niece. Can't believe she will be 18 this year.  She was not a fan of the key lime pie.  Said it was too sour, or something like that.  I did reduce the amount of lime juice in the second pie, which made it less tart, but just as tasty. 


Who can resist this sweet face?  Meet the newest member of our extended family.  My sister's adorable little puggle, Glimmer.  She's so freakin cute!  Love, love, love her ears!!


And just in case you want to make the pie for yourself, here's the recipe. 

key lime pie
inspired by sweet peas kitchen

graham cracker crust
1 1/2 cups graham crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
5 tbsp melted butter

lime filling
1/2 cup strained lime juice (from four limes)
4 teaspoons lime zest
4 large egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk

whipped topping
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup icing sugar (confectioners)

1/2 lime sliced paper thin, dipped in sugar

directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Crust: In a medium bowl, combine butter and crumbs.  Press crust into the bottom of a tart pan or pie plate. 

3. Filling: In a medium bowl, whisk the zest and yolks until tinted a light green.  Beat in milk.  Mix in milk.
Set aside at room temperture to thicken, about 30 minutes.

4. Pour filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes.  Refridgerate pie for several hours (overnight) before serving. 

5. Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment